The requested key container does not exist on the smart card
WALTER BARRIOS
2015-10-14 16:15:19 UTC
Hello everyone,

We are having some issues with our CAC Authentication PKI systems. We have 25 Windows server 2008 r2 Servers that I manage. We log on to all servers via RDP sessions. When we attempt to log in most people can log in while others get the error "The system could not log you on. The requested key container does not exist on the smart card". Sometimes if we hit "ok" on that error and enter our pin again on the windows logon screen, it will work, but sometimes even after doing that it gets to the point where it doesn't work for only one person and everyone can get in just fine. The only thing that seems to resolve it at that time is rebooting the server then everyone can log back on just fine for a few days before it starts happening again.

Any ideas?
b***@gmail.com
2016-05-12 11:11:30 UTC
Post by WALTER BARRIOS
Hello everyone,
We are having some issues with our CAC Authentication PKI systems. We have 25 Windows server 2008 r2 Servers that I manage. We log on to all servers via RDP sessions. When we attempt to log in most people can log in while others get the error "The system could not log you on. The requested key container does not exist on the smart card". Sometimes if we hit "ok" on that error and enter our pin again on the windows logon screen, it will work, but sometimes even after doing that it gets to the point where it doesn't work for only one person and everyone can get in just fine. The only thing that seems to resolve it at that time is rebooting the server then everyone can log back on just fine for a few days before it starts happening again.
Any ideas?
Good day Walter. Did you ever get a response regarding this? We experience the same issues here with 2012 R2.

Appreciate any feedback!

Scott E. Denbow